How to Fix a Windows 10 Laptop with 100% Disk Drive Error

Hot on the heels of my last fix, a Lenovo 510 with a new screen cable fitted, I have ANOTHER Lenovo 510 which is suffering from excessively slow performance, making it unusable.

This fix was over two days, which is fairly long for a fix. I attempted to speed up the computer using my tried and trusted method of optimising the computer by removing unnecessary software, clearing up files, installing updates and optimising the virtual memory, but progress was slow as I couldn’t shake the 100% disk issue.

In Windows 10, if you right click on the taskbar, and open Task Manager, you will see some percentages across the top showing how the computer is running. On this particular laptop the disk drive was constantly at 100%, and it got to the point where basic key presses weren’t being acknowledged by the system until 10 minutes later. I know this, because I timed it!

A detailed search online to find fixes for similar issues suggested I run some code in Command Prompt, change some settings in Control Panel or Settings, and disable the antivirus. However, such was the lack of response from the computer that these fixes just weren’t possible.

Drastic action was needed to get this computer working again. I pondered a solution over the evening and decided the only option I had left was to reinstall Windows 10. I checked with the person who I was fixing it for to see if they were happy for me to do this, and they said it was the right thing to do (they had their files and documents backed up on an external hard drive).

The next day I downloaded the Windows 10 Creation Tool onto another computer and created a bootable USB of Windows 10 home. With this now in my arsenal, I took the stick to work and set about reinstalling Windows 10. Pressing F12 allowed me to select the option to boot from USB. I then followed the prompts to install Windows 10, chose the Home Edition, formatted the existing partitions, and reinstalled the operating system.

Once the OS was set up, I then set about optimising the laptop. I installed the latest Windows Updates, Google Chrome, Avast Antivirus, removed any unnecessary software, cleared the cache with Disk Cleanup, installed Office 365 and Adobe Reader DC, and rebooted.

It gives me tremendous pleasure to say the laptop now works a treat and is useable once again.

Skippy

Software Developer, Website Creator and Digital IT specialist over at The Legend of Skippy. I make stuff, that's essentially my job. And when I'm not making stuff, I'm fixing all manner of other stuff. It's a fun life to lead, and I'm here to share it all with you.